Saturday, March 1, 2008

Looking For Work

I've been thinking about going back to work as a registered nurse. I haven't worked for about 9 years, but I've kept my nursing license active. I've stayed home to take care of my young children. Previously I worked in a hospital for over 11 years. I thought it might be easier to get back into nursing if I work as a visiting nurse in home care. I could have flexible hours, and I'd rather not work 8 or 12 hour shifts. I could work while my kids are in school.

I read an article about an RN re-entry internship program in home care near where I live. Perfect! This will give me experience in home care while I brush up my skills. So, my dear hubby helped me update my resume and I contacted the agency. The 16 week training came at a bad time and they said I could take the next one. But when I called back to find out when the next re-training session would be, they said they lost their instructor & it might be a while 'till they have another one. I was disappointed. :-( Meanwhile, I decided to check out an open house with a different home care agency taking place at a Mexican restaurant. Plus they were giving out door prizes. ;-)

They must be really hurting for nurses. I went on Saturday. When I got there, the owner of the home care agency said grab some food. Yay, free food. :-) So I got some taquitos, and started to fill out forms, trying not to drip guacamole on the job application. When the lady doing the hiring came by, we talked about my experience, and about the work at her agency. She said they didn't have a re-training program, but were willing to work with me. It sounded great! She wanted to set up an interview for Friday. Yippy!! I couldn't believe it was so easy. I can hardly wait!!

No comments: